Thursday, December 27, 2012

[Flashback] Best 20 Songs of 2012: #1 - 5

So we finally reach the top 5 songs of the year and may I just say that all 5 artists are well deserving of their spots. Finishing at #5 is one of, if not the catchiest songs of the year for myself and a lot of fellow Australians. "Cherry Lips" from Loon Lake's Thirty Three EP delivered an incredible foot stomping anthem to bring them right to the foreshore of Australian music talent. No doubt this one will feature in the top 10 of the Hottest 100 on Australia Day.

#5: Loon Lake - Cherry Lips


Probably my most anticipated album of the year, TDCC's Beacon promised so much from their lead single "Sleep Alone" sitting at #4. I'll be honest here and say that Beacon in comparison to Tourist History it definitely was not as good, but then again, they set the bar extremely high to begin with. No matter this was definitely my favorite from the album and was most reminiscent of their older work which I have loved for so long.

#4: Two Door Cinema Club - Sleep Alone


One of the more somber songs on the list but Colorado's The Lumineers' "Ho Hey" was a song that touched my very heart. I'll admit it, I'm a softy for a good ol' love song and this exactly what it is. Coming from their self-titled debut album this year, "Ho Hey" is the kind of song that will either make you cry or sing along with in joy. Funny that it should stand at #3 when this is the same position it finished on Billboard's Hot 100.

#3: The Lumineers - Ho Hey


About 3 months ago I discovered Chvrches after they were making so much noise within the Blogosphere. At #2 "The Mother We Share" was an absolute monster of a track and I literally fell in love with it within the first 10 seconds. Lauren Mayberry (the lead vocalist) has an extraordinary voice and the production was so crisp and clean. So much potential and here's hoping they live up to it in 2013 and beyond.

#2: Chvrches - The Mother We Share


So here we are at #1 and in all honesty, this was a clear winner in my books. The Neighbourhood's "Sweater Weather" was the greatest song to grace my ears in 2012. A mix between indie rock and R&B - esque rhymes made this track so much fun to sing along to. Originally it was released as a single by itself later on forming part of the I'm Sorry EP and the band has been riding the wave of success ever since. HUGE things to come in 2013.

#1: The Neighbourhood - Sweater Weather

No comments: